Green Flag Award
Bath Grounds, Ashby has a Green Flag for excellence. The Green Flag Award is the benchmark national standard for parks and green spaces in the United Kingdom. The scheme recognises and rewards those green spaces which meet the highest standards. Parks must apply each year to keep their Green Flag Award, and winning sites are eligible to fly their Green Flag in the park for a year.
Sites for a Green Flag Award are judged against eight criteria:
- A welcoming place.
- Healthy, safe and secure.
- Well maintained and clean.
- Environmental management.
- Biodiversity, landscape and heritage.
- Community involvement.
- Marketing and communication.
Bath Grounds was refurbished in 2013 by a town volunteer group Friends of Ashby Bath Grounds working with Ashby de la Zouch Town Council funded by grants from the National Lottery, North West District Council
This led to the installation of the new all-weather Heritage Path around the Grounds, the various Historical Interpretation Boards and Mosaics, the archaeological survey and many other initiatives designed to lift the profile of the Bath Grounds and highlight its historical importance.
• Additional litter bins around the Grounds and annual litter picks.
• Maintenance of the South Street flowerbed and painting of benches.
• The Castle View Wildlife Walk – This ongoing project was started three years ago and involved the transformation of a dark, overgrown, unloved and underused footpath bordering the BG into a light, open, welcoming thoroughfare which is widely used by residents and visitors alike. The project included the removal of a significant amount of self- seeded growth, dead wood, old fencing and general rubbish, followed by the preparation and planting of a wildflower verge along the full length of the path which provides a mass of colour throughout the summer as well as being a haven for insect life. Ten new oak and beech trees have been planted, with the Friends recently installing new tree supports to these trees. The Friends have also planted hundreds of bulbs along the Wildlife Walk and bird and bat boxes have been installed in the mature trees along the Walk.
• The ‘laying’ of around seventy metres of hawthorn hedge along the northern edge of the Grounds – this was done with close co-operation with the Heart of England Hedge Laying Group.
The Town Council remains committed to maintaining Bath Grounds in line with the Green Flag scheme.