Gritting roads and pavements
Leicestershire County Council are responsible for the gritting of the roads throughout the County, including Ashby, they also co-ordinate the Snow Warden Scheme.
Leicestershire County Council website provides details about their winter weather service.
Town Council responsibilities
Requests for new grit bins can be sent to Ashby de la Zouch Town Council. If the Town Council agrees a grit bin is required the Town Council needs to apply to Leicestershire County Council for a grit bin in the specific location. The County Council only consider applications once a year and the deadline is 30th June.
Snow Warden Scheme
Ashby de la Zouch Town Council has delegated responsiblity from Leicestershire County Council to grit some pavements within the town centre.
The footpaths covered by the Snow Warden Scheme are:
- Market Street - both footways from Wood Street to Bath Street
- Lamb Yard - from Market Street to South Street
- Mill Lane - from Market Street to North Street
- Derby Road - both footways from Market Street to the pedestiran crossing outside the Co-op
- Bath Street - both footways from Market Street to the Monument
- Brook Street - both footways from Market Street to the Green
- North Street - one footway (north side) from the Green to Wood Street
- Wood Street - one footway (north side) from North Street to Market Street
- Mount Walk
The Town Council also grits footpaths on Town Council owned land, including the cemetery.
The Town Council does not have the resources, grit or facilities to grit other parts of the town.